Retractable roof brings a new level of luxury to boutique hotel’s rooftop in NYC
OAKVILLE, ON – July 16, 2013
– Located in Manhattan’s Fashion District, Refinery Hotel is now welcoming guests to its newly opened Rooftop, featuring a retractable roof designed, manufactured and installed by OpenAire. The industrial aesthetic of Refinery Hotel extends onto the Rooftop above, where cocktails can be enjoyed within three distinct lounge spaces: indoor, outdoor and a space ‘in-between’ with an integrated bi-parting skylight.
The retractable glass roof enhances the view of New York’s city sunsets, where guests can take in the cinematic skyline of Manhattan and the Empire State Building, while relaxing with artisanal cocktails or a glass of wine from the bar’s premium wine list.The Rooftop’s retractable roof features:
- A lea-to-enclosure with bi-parting roof, measuring 24’-4” x 40’-5”, with a 40’-5” x 12’-5 ½" high front wall
- Installation along a 7.72 degree slope
- 4 dividing roof sections each measuring 10’-0”
- Two sections that bi-part up to 50 per cent from the center, moving outward and "parking” over the fixed end bays
"OpenAire’s bi-parting skylight for the Refinery Rooftop adds a complementary touch of luxury to the industrial aesthetic of the building,where innovative design blends in with historic architectural detail. The integration of a retractable roof for the Rooftop adds that unique element that boutique hotel clientele can appreciate and enjoy,” said Mark Albertine, president of OpenAire.
"The Rooftop has a warm industrial aesthetic for which the OpenAire skylight was a perfect complement. Even with the enclosure closed, its transparency transmits a wonderful light. The view through the skylight of the Empire State Building never fails to elicit excitement. With the bar designed for year round- use, we didn’t want a space that would operate at partial capacity for half the year. The massive skylight brings the outside in and vice versa, while sheltering guests from the elements,"said Christina Zimmer, principal at Stonehill & Taylor Architects and Planners.
"Our new and repeat guests at the Refinery Hotel have welcomed and claimed the Rooftop Bar and Lounge as a unique space of their own. The retractable skylight has become a natural focal point of their stay, with evening hours spent unwinding with cocktails, while enjoying unfiltered access to the Manhattan skyline. OpenAire did a tremendous job helping us realize our original vision for the Rooftop, from conception to execution of the finest details,” said Pinky Vaid, owner of Refinery Hotel.
The Refinery Hotel’s Rooftop opened June 2013.